As the old year ends and a new one begins, I thought I’d look at my goals for the last year and see what I want to do with 2015. My goals for 2014 were relatively simple:
- Read seventy-five stories (short, novella or novel).
- Finish reading through the NT and begin to study it.
- Do some reading each week for education or career reasons.
- Spend less time on Facebook.
- Have some down time each day.
So how did I do? Well. My Goodreads Challenge tells me I’ve read eighty stories this year. I know for a fact that it was more than that, as some of those logged were collections/anthologies. I did finish reading through the New Testament. However, instead of studying it, I decided to begin reading through the Old Testament. I am almost half way through doing that. Reading for education or career reasons… What? I haven’t done much of that, but I have done a little bit. Negligible, really, but something I can do more of. With regards to spending less time on Facebook… well. In a way, I have done so, but it’s been unintentional. I don’t post on there as much as I used to (some may argue this point)… but I’m still on there quite a bit. And finally, as for having some down time each day… The last six months have been very busy work-wise (I’m an editor and occasional consultant), so there have been days when I didn’t get much down time. And those days have told their own story – down time is undoubtedly something I need. But for the most part, I have managed to do something, whether it be reading, playing sudoku, or being crafty (crochet and knitting). But some days it’s been as simple as a drive in the car with a napping child in the back seat; I’ve learnt to appreciate even those times of silence.
Now to my goals/aims for 2015.
- Read seventy-five stories (short, novella or novel). Now I know you’re wondering why I don’t increase this goal. My aim isn’t to challenge myself to read more and more each year; I only have a limited amount of time to read, and less when I’ve got a work project on the go. My purpose with this goal is to at least make sure I read. It’s something that’s as important to me, very nearly, as breathing.
- Finish reading through the Old Testament. Once I’m done with this, I’m not entirely sure what I’ll do. I have a few ideas in mind, but nothing concrete. I’ll see what God leads me to do on this point.
- Celebrate creativity. I find myself surrounded by creative people in various arts and crafts. Creativity is something that I appreciate and wish to encourage amongst my friends and others who my life touches.
- Do some reading/studying for education or work. I’m keeping this goal, but I’m not putting any restrictions on it.
So there you have it. What are your goals or aims for this next year?